Saturday, November 28, 2009

At home with Dorkfinger

So, I was browsing xkcd, the comic strip for people who think Dilbert is too artistic or not geeky enough, when I ran across this strip:



First sad thing: I think this is hysterically funny. Physics and James Bond are natural bedfellows, like firearms and alcohol.

Even more telling was what happened when I showed The Wife this strip. A discussion ensued on the exact nature of the centripetal/centrifugal debate, since we were born just the right number of years apart that we were told different versions of this story in school. This kicked off two hours of extensive Web searching, discussion and debate on rotational forces, velocity vectors and the best examples for explaining the concepts involved. If I hadn't been so late for work I'm sure we would have ended up at the whiteboard with something tied to a string on the end of my fish scale.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, ya geeks..! Funny strip by the way -- always loved that line, "No Mr Bond I expect you to die..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. my ex-husband (a physicist) and i could never have this discussion when alcohol was involved. shoes would be swung from the laces, and invariably someone would get hurt.

    ReplyDelete