Saturday, December 25, 2010

A Christmas wish

So maybe it hasn't been our most festive Christmas season ever. It's the second year in row we've had a Christmas week funeral, and we have both had quite a bit of stress from various quarters. We have managed almost no decorations, or shopping, or baking, or any of the other things that tend to put one in the spirit.

But sometimes the hard years are just what it takes to remind us of how delicate and fleeting it all is, and how special this time of year. The nadir of the year, the time when it is always darkest, brings with it the promise of the dawn. There is nothing that encourages us in quite the same way as singing in the graveyard. The Joy that can be had from being with family (no matter how aggravating), exchanging gifts that no one wants, eating and drinking way too much, and reflecting on the turning of the years and the promise of Christmas, just cannot be had at any other time of the year.

So on this holiest of days for Christians and retailers, we wanted to let our favorite holiday decoration deliver our message for the season. I'm not sure where young Frostie was programmed, but I suspect it's a country where English is not commonly spoken. I'm not sure what a coin top pipe is, but I'm sure they are nice.

Watch the video. You know you want to.


So from Biscuit, the cats, and me, here's wishing you a very lively I don't know. Happy Holidays, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. it does tend to be all full of human drama, don't it? even when i hunker down in my cave, and make every attempt to simply drink and eat myself into a coma, it gets sneaky and jumps up and down on your heart.

    thanks for Frosty the Branglish-speaking Snowman. he's got my vote in 2012! and a very lively I don't know to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know either - other than life is fleeting, sweet, and precious, and if we're lucky we are vigilant to the moments we create with our loved ones. I cut out an essay from the paper today that made me think of you and it was on just this subject...the season does seem to sharpen one's instincts. As one who feels she's weathered the storm of last year, I wish you love.

    ReplyDelete